CARING FOR CURLY/WAVY LACE WIGS
Just like natural curly hair, curly and wavy lace wigs require tender love and care. Caring for a curly or wavy lace wig can be a daunting task for some, so please read these notes carefully. If you do not care for your unit properly, it will not look good and you may cause irreversible damage to it! We cannot be held responsible for any damage that you cause to your unit as a result of improper care.
ONLY wash your wig on a styrofoam wig head, preferably using a mild shampoo such as Silicon Mix shampoo.
NEVER, EVER comb or brush curly lace wigs!
DO NOT colour the hair or perform any chemical services on it. Most hair has already been processed to achieve a certain texture and/or colour, using special dyes, so the results are potentially unpredictable. We do not accept any responsibility for the results of any chemical/colour services performed on the hair after purchasing it from us.
1. Wet the hair slowly and gradually, starting from the bottom and staying away from the roots (knots). Then spray a mixture of shampoo (use one that is for coloured/dyed hair) and water onto the hair. Leave on for 1-2 minutes.
2. Rinse the hair. DO NOT swish it around in the water and DO NOT wash it upside down, as this may cause matting and tangling.
3. Apply a generous amount of conditioner (preferably Silicon Mix intensive treatment) and finger-comb the hair - pull your fingers through it gently, starting at the ends and gently working your way up. If there are any tangled areas, apply more conditioner to these areas and finger-comb again. Then rinse.
4. To deep-condition, put the unit in a plastic bag and wrap in a heat pack, and this in turn into a towel. Let it sit for half an hour, then rinse. NEVER brush curly or wavy hair, as the hair will frizz.
5. DO give this hair regular treatments with Silicon Mix conditioner.
6. DO use a leave in curl cream such as Silicon Mix Leave-in Conditioner after washing to bring out the curl definition.
7. DO moisturize this hair lightly every day by spritzing it with a leave-in conditioner such as our own BLW Leave-In Conditioner. This will refresh the curls and keep the hair moisturized.
DO NOT use heavy greasy products on this hair!
DO NOT flatiron or press it too often, as this will diminish the curl pattern over time. Always use a low heat setting when you flat-iron or curl the hair. DO NOT use heat on your wig if it is of a lighter colour (colour #4 or lighter) and a texture other than silky/natural straight. Because the hair has been processed heavily to achieve its colour and/or texture, it may damage if you use heat on it. Remember, human hair is fragile!
DO NOT use a hot comb on your wig!
CARING FOR STRAIGHT LACE WIGS
The rules for caring for straight textures are similar to the rules described above for curly/wavy wigs. Also, you should apply an anti-frizz serum (e.g. John Frieda Frizz-Ease serum) to the hair after washing it, to keep it smooth.
DO NOT blow-dry or hood-dry your wig - ALWAYS AIR-DRY. Blow drying will shrink and/or melt the lace as well as cause potential damage to the knots and hair.
DO NOT comb the hair too vigorously, as it will shed. Particularly when it is wet, the hair is more prone to shedding because its diameter shrinks when it is wet and the knots loosen slightly. Save the majority of the combing for when the hair is dry.
A Denman brush is an extremely valuable tool for this hair!
CARING FOR SYNTHETIC WIGS
Our synthetic wigs are made with high quality synthetic hair, which is heat resistant up to a medium heat. However, it is strongly recommended that you use no heat or a low heat setting when styling this hair, to prolong the life of your unit (similar to human hair lace wigs).
Synthetic wigs should be washed in cool water with a mild shampoo and conditioner. (Using conditioner is highly recommended to reduce tangling.) Do not scrub the wig, just swish it from side to side and dunk it up and down. Wigs should be hung to air dry - DO NOT BLOW DRY. (Synthetic wigs may also be set when wet, using rollers.)Synthetic hair can also be washed in a solution of water and regular fabric softener/ fabric conditioner - this is highly recommended as it softens the hair.
Once dry, spray sheen or detangling spray onto the wig (we sell Pro Touch Leave-In conditioning spray, which is highly recommended for synthetic hair) and comb or brush depending on the type of wig you have (See Combing and Brushing below).
To deep condition, soak your wig in a solution of water and fabric softener for 45 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with cold water and air-dry.
Synthetic hair wigs can be set quite easily by following these instructions: Styling:
- After washing, comb the hair (as instructed below) then set in rollers with rolling papers and setting lotion.
- Leave on a wig stand or styrofoam head overnight or until completely dried.
- Once dry, take out the rollers and style the wig as desired.
BE CAUTIOUS WHEN USING HEAT ON SYNTHETIC HAIR - use no heat or a low heat setting to prolong the life of the wig. For curly wigs, if wig hair gets frizzy, try any sheen spray or wig spray to calm the frizziness and then comb. If not, wash with fabric conditioner then set with setting lotion to get the frizziness out. When wigs are tangled, use any detangling or sheen spray then comb the hair.
Always use a wide tooth comb on this hair - avoid brushing it unless it is straight or yaki textured.
The best way to style this hair is to spray it with clean, cool water every morning. If you use styling products, make sure to wash the hair regularly to get rid of styling product buildup.
While wigs are not in use, they may be stored in a hair net and plastic bag or on a wig stand, such as styrofoam head.